Video interviews are becoming more and more common in today’s world as we navigate remote working set ups. In the majority of cases, the core interview structure and questions will be the same as a face-to-face one, however we have pulled together our Top Tips to ensure you that using video does not hinder your performance.
BE PREPARED: Have the phone number of the interviewer to hand in case your video connection is lost!
Set Up your Video Interview
- Pick a quiet room with good lighting (preferably natural light) and a plain background.
- Position yourself at a table and elevate your laptop to avoid staring down into the camera.
- Dress professionally. First impressions still count even over video! Avoid bright colours and patterns.
- Have a copy of your CV to hand – you can make notes on this and highlight key areas you want to talk about during the intervuew
- Have a pen and paper to hand and a glass of water next to you.
TOP TRICK: Attach post-it notes around the laptop screen with prompts: info about the company, questions to ask and key points you want to mention about yourself.
- Do a test video call with family or friends to check your background, position and lighting. Test your audio too! Do you need headphones?
- Practise looking into the camera, not at the screen!
- Close all other applications on your laptop.
- Put your phone on silent and disable vibration.
Lastly, as with all interviews but particularly as you are on a video interview; smile, be positive and most of all, be yourself!
Find out more about Remote Recruitment and Remote Workers here.
Top 3 Benefits of Remote Working Hire Remote Workers to secure Top Talent simply, qu...read more
Video interviews are becoming more and more common in today's world as we navigate remote working s...read more
Top Tips for Remote Working As more of us work remotely at home, it is important to ensur...read more
Specialist Recruitment Agency, The Portfolio Group, have been ranked on Trustpilot as the number on...read more